1/28/10

D is for Denmark







Denmark is my closest trace of family other than family in Canada. My Mormor (grandma) was born in Denmark and came to Canada when she was 12. She came over on the SS Stockholm. She has told me many stories about Denmark and they are very good.


So what did my family do when they were in Denmark. They had a mill well you might think that is a little outdated but I think athat is pretty cool. It was a flour mill. Unfortunatley it is no longer operating. I think my family is almost gone in Denmark now. I wish I could have gome to see them working at the mill. The branch of my family that I come from came over here when my mother's mother was 11. Unfortunately at this time she had already lost her mother.
They came over on the SS stockholm (see above picture). As I said they had no mother so my grandmother basically raised my great aunt and her father on her own at the age of 11. I think that is pretty amazing. They came to Canada because a year earlier they had come to Canada with their mother in bad health and showed her Niagra Falls. Imagine that something that I don't think much of seeing as I have been there about 4 times was a lady's dying wish it is amazing.
I rally hope I will have the opportunity to travel to Denmark and see Legoland. Maybe if I never go inmy younger years I will make it my dying wish to visit Coppenhagen, just like my greatgrandmother's wish was.
Life Lesson:Never take anything for granted even something that you see every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment